This university, in historically and culturally diverse Changsha, the capital of Hunan province, covers a 341-hectare area, with a construction area of 2.7 million square meters. It was established in April 2000 through the merger of Hunan Medical University, Changsha Railway University, and South Central University of Technology. It is a key national university under Education Ministry administration and was one of the first schools to join the 211 Project for developing key universities for the 21st century, the 985 Project for building world-class universities central and local government sponsorship, and the 2011 Project for promoting innovation in universities. Prof Gao Wenbing is the Party Secretary, and Zhang Yaoxue, of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, is its president. The school has received recognition from Party and state leaders and has been visited by Xi Jinping and other members of the Party’s Politburo, who praised it for its innovation, talent, scientific research, and social services.
Hunan University sits at the foot of Yuelu Mountain on the west bank of the Xiangjiang River which runs through Changsha, capital of Hunan province. It is considered an “Ancient Millenarian Academy” and “Famous Centennial University” and is a key, comprehensive school affiliated with the Education Ministry and is part of the state’s 211 Project and 985 Project for developing world-class universities. Prof Liu Keli is its Party secretary and Prof Zhao Yueyu, its president. The school dates back to the founding of the Yuelu Academy, in 976 and has maintained the culture and education standards through the vicissitudes of the Song, Yuan, Ming and Qing dynasties. It was made the Hunan Institute of Higher Learning, in 1903, then, in 1926, renamed Hunan University. In 1937, it was put under the Republic of China’s Education Ministry.
After 1963, it was affiliated with Ministry of Mechanical Industry and, in 1978, it became a key national comprehensive university, then got direct Education Ministry affiliation, in 1998. A new Hunan University emerged, in 2000, when it merged with Hunan Institute of Finance and Economics. In the new China, it gained recognition from Party and state leaders, such as Liu Shaoqi, Hua Guofeng, Hu Yaobang, Jiang Zemin, Hu Jintao, Zhu Rongji and Wen Jiabao, who visited it and called it a “Cradle of the Talent of Xiang [Hunan] and Chu”, the “Kingdom of Chu, Unique Home of Talent”, “Today’s Yuelu Academy, the Cradle of Prosperity”, and “Ancient Millenarian Academy” and “Famous Centennial University”.
This university, in Changsha, capital of Hunan province, was established in 1938 and has been included in the 211 Project for building key national universities and has gained Education Ministry as an outstanding university in undergraduate teaching. It has five campuses, on 168 hectares, and a construction area of around 1 million square meters. Its picturesque main campus has Yuelu Mountain to the west and the Xiangjiang River to the east.
Hunan Normal University was created during the Anti-Japanese War, at Hunan Lantian National Normal College, China’s first independent teachers college. After the founding of the new China, the National Teachers College was merged with Hunan University, until August 1953 and the higher education adjustments, when Hunan University was abolished and Hunan Teachers College and the South Central Civil Engineering Institute were established. In 1984, it was renamed Hunan Normal University.
It has a “Humane, Caring, Excellent, Industrious” tradition and will follow Hunan’s basic development philosophy of serving the country, using its distinct features, and joining the world’s top universities. It has worked hard to stand out in teacher education, with Chinese and international influence.
Changsha University of Science & Technology (CUST) is a multidisciplinary university with a focus on engineering. The university offers such courses as engineering, science, management, economics, liberal arts, law and fine art. While it focuses on undergraduate education, CUST has many doctoral programs as well, and is qualified to grant doctoral degrees and recommend graduates.
After nearly 60 years of construction and development, CUST’s culture is based on its motto: “Be learned, independent, righteous and innovative”. Its school spirit centers on “solidarity, progress, rigor and pragmatism” as well as “down-to-earth, hardworking, dedicated and aggressive”. Since its establishment, CUST has cultivated nearly 200,000 specialized professionals for the industries of communications, electric power, water conservancy, light, economics and regional social development.
CUST maintains ties with 52 universities and scientific research institutions from over 40 countries and regions including the US, Great Britain, France, Canada, Russia, South Korea and Hong Kong. CUST admits international students, of which there are currently about 200, with scholarships from the Chinese government.
In the future, CUST will carry forward its tradition of excellent university management, not only by following university-management laws effectively, but also by reforming, innovating, and strengthening its own image and quality. CUST strives to be a world-class university with distinctive teaching and research capacities, but more importantly, produce talented graduates well rounded in morality, scientific knowledge, physique and the arts.
The Central South University of Forestry and Technology (CSUFT), the former Hunan Forestry College, was established in 1958. In 1963, under the guidance of Mr. Tao Zhu, who then served as the First Secretary of the Central South Bureau, the former vice premier of the State Council, Hunan Forestry College moved to Guangzhou and merged with the Department of Forestry of the South China Agricultural College; and hence the Central South University of Forestry was founded directly under the supervision of the State Forestry Administration.
In December 2005, the Central South University of Forestry was officially renamed Central South University of Forestry and Technology. As one of the key universities jointly constructed by the State Forestry Bureau and the people’s government of Hunan province, and one of the five high-level universities in Hunan, CSUFT was successfully enlisted, in 2012, into the mid-west universities’ infrastructures construction project. In recent years, CSUFT has speeded up the pace of internationalization in education. Emphasizing absorption of advanced international education ideas, CSUFT has introduced qualified education resources and directly established relationships with advanced international universities. It has been vigorously developing various forms of international cooperative education, making CSUFT a real bridge for the inheritance and exchange for excellent national cultures and fruits of advanced world civilization.
Since 2004, CSUFT has successively achieved cooperative relationships with many foreign countries including Great Britain, France, India, the USA, Holland, and so on, with all the operations being undertaken by a specially established International College. In 2013, Bangor College of the Central South University of Forestry & Technology, a cooperatively-run organization jointly applied by CSUFT and Bangor University from Great Britain, was approved by the Ministry of Education. At the moment, CSUFT has established a cooperative relationship with over 70 universities from more than 20 countries, such as the USA, Russia, Japan, South Korea, France, Great Britain, Australia, and Austria, and set up exchange programs and international students programs with over 30 of them.
Established on October 8, 1903, Hunan Agricultural University (HUNAU) was first named Xiuye Institute, and then Private Hunan Xiuye Vocational School of Higher Agriculture, Hunan Provincial Xiuye Agricultural and Forestry College, and the Agricultural College of Hunan University. In March 1951, Hunan Provincial Xiuye Agricultural and Forestry College and Agricultural College of Hunan University merged to be Hunan Agricultural College. In November 1951, Chairman Mao Zedong inscribed the name of the university. In February 1994, it was renamed Hunan Agricultural University. Situated in Furong District of Changsha, it covers an area of 2.27 square kilometers. The beautiful scenery of Lake Donghu in the north and Liuyang River in the south provides the university fresh air and tranquil surroundings.
After a century’s vicissitudes and several experiences of being renamed, HUNAU keeps a down-to-earth attitude and stands firm on its goals. Currently, HUNAN has evolved into a comprehensively developed and multidisciplinary teaching-researching university, featuring agricultural science while integrating agronomy, engineering, liberal arts, science, economics, management, law, medicine, teaching and arts. HUNAU is a provincial key university jointly constructed by Ministry of Agriculture and the people’s government of Hunan province, and is enlisted in the first group trial units for new countryside construction by Ministry of Education and Ministry of Science and Technology and the national project for construction of central and south universities’ fundamental capabilities.
In the future, HUNAU will be expanding its international exchanges continuously. It has set up close relationship with over 20 universities from more than 10 countries, such as the Great Britain, the USA, Canada, France, Japan, South Korea, Italy and Australia, as well as international organizations including Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. HUNAU has established cooperative school-running relationship with many universities including University of Greenwich from the Great Britain, University of South Australia from Australia, College of the North Atlantic from Canada, and Kagoshima University and Okayama University from Japan.
The predecessor of Hunan First Normal College was Southern Changsha City Academy, which was founded by Zhang Shi in Nan Song Dynasty (1127-1279). Eventually in 1993, the Academy evolved into Hunan Normal School. This school became Public Hunan First Normal School in 1912 and later Hunan Provincial First Normal School. After the liberation of China, it was renamed Hunan First Normal School. In 2008, the school was upgraded to the status of an undergraduate university, and changed to its current name Hunan First Normal University.
The university enjoys solid reputation as a “thousand-year institution of higher learning and hundred-year normal school”. It used to be the alma mater of such famous people as Mao Zedong, He Shuheng, Li Da, Ren Bishi, Huang Xing, Cai Hesen, Xu Teli, Yang Changji, Tian Han and He Shaoji and others, who had either studied or worked here. After the foundation of the People’s Republic of China, Chinese Party and state leaders concerned very much about the construction and development of the university. Xu Teli had visited the university six times in total, and inscribed “Seek truth from facts, and do not be self-righteous”. Jiang Zemin has inscribed “Mao Zedong in Youth” on the bronze statue standing in the center of the campus.